A busy through-route to and from Queenstown, almost all vehicles pass through Frankton when arriving or leaving New Zealand’s adventure capital.
It is located at the Eastern end of the Frankton Arm, a smallish inlet of Lake Wakitipu, and is also the meeting point of the Shotover and Kawarai Rivers. The suburb provides much needed infrastructure to Queenstown, with slightly cheaper housing yet still plenty of access to the lake.
Frankton was established in 1863 and was named after Frances, the wife of the area’s first European settler William Gilbert Rees, who began farming at Queenstown in 1860. It is now home to Queenstown’s International Airport among other larger retail outlets and industrial enterprises.